Playing is Hard Work

Monday, October 15, 2007

Convening

I presented a workshop at a conference this last weekend that was interesting and strange. The parts of the conference that I really enjoyed were:
  • clown-doctors
  • in-house AV
  • the trees (although they made me sneeze)
  • the response to my workshop
The things that I was more challenged by at the conference were:
  • getting up early to get there
  • people who use "education" as a bad word
  • in-house printing services that mess with my bank account
  • over-use of words like "development" and "performance". Specifically those words, actually. If they used more words like those words, maybe I wouldn't be as bothered by the over-use
It was nice to get to check one more major thing off of my meta-list. But now I must look forward to another conference. Not one that I am presenting at, but one for which I am the go-to girl for everyone that is. I don't want to spend too much time complaining about the last-minute problems that are coming up, but I probably will anyway. The things, specifically, that are troubling me are:
  • people who don't properly assess their AV needs
  • people who don't respond to emails
  • people who respond to long chains of emails with one word, such as "ok", "fine", "good", etc.
  • people who get called to jury duty
Things that make me optimistic:
  • my blood pressure isn't as high as it was this time last year
  • I have two paid assistants who are taking things on that would otherwise raise my bp
  • it can't really go that bad...
This week I get to cross one more big thing off my meta-list for the fall and then my mum-in-law comes into town for almost a week. I'm actually looking forward to this, which is strange but good.

My glasses broke today after two long years of service, and since I don't have backups I'm just wearing them around held together by scotch tape. I kid you not. It's hot.

One last and very sad development in my life-- despite me harassing most people I know who live in my borough, my bellydancing class got cancelled due to low enrollment. I hope you're all happy. Now I just jiggle alone.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather K said...

I want it on record that I think it is soooo cool that you have assistants! Also, I am very jealous.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Heather K said...

OK, I know the last post was me, but this is easier than finding your email. Two for one tickets to a show I really enjoyed playing at PS 122. One of my UI profs:

Limited Time offer – order tickets to NY premiere of 500 Clown by October 31 and SAVE!
Enjoy two-for-one tickets to 500 Frankenstein for these performances:
Wednesday, December 12 @ 7.30
Thursday, December 13 @ 7.30
Friday, December 14 @ 7.30
Saturday, December 15 @ 4

Use code MS500 and get two tickets for only $20 total*!
Enter code MS500 online at check out via www.ps122.org or mention by phone at 212-352-3101.

*special offer based on limited availability; may not be combined with other offers or applied to past sales; offer expires October 31.


Check them out!

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry you are having to belly dance in your living room - I am up for trying it again at another time of year! I want to jiggle with you! Can't wait to hear more about your conference....

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter