Playing is Hard Work

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Request for Opinions

So, I find myself in a strange situation and my thinking is a little cluttered so I need you all to help me sort things out.

The Jobs:

Job #1: This is the job that I was going to interview for but it was filled and then it seemed it wasn't filled so I actually did interview for it. It is a great position- manager level, part-time, lots of responsibilities, pretty much ideal for the kinds of things I want to be doing in the future, good pay, somewhat flexible schedule. Great job if I want to be a Director of Education someday.

Job #2: This job is with a company I already know, love, and work for. It is part-time and VERY flexible, associate level, decent (but not great) pay, very exciting range of responsibilities, primarily grant-writing and fund-raising, but not education-specific. Great job if I ever want to have my own company or be marketable outside of educational theatre.

The Situation:

Job #2 has called and made an offer. Job #1 still hasn't scheduled second-round interviews.

The Questions:
  • How long can I keep Job #2 waiting for an answer? They know it will be a couple days, but it looks like it might be a week.
  • Should I give up a chance for the better-paying, higher level job so that I can have the sure thing?
  • Is it better to have a job that develops skills I already have or a job that gives me new skills?
  • Which of these jobs is going to help me most down the road?
  • Which of these companies would I rather work for?

Now, you may not be able to help me with all of these questions, but I implore you to weigh in on some of them at least. All things considered, it is not really a bad thing to have two good options, but I still don't know what to do!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather K said...

I suck at job decisions (read I worked at Pier 1 only for a year and a half for no good reason that I can come up with), but the best advice I have ever gotten in a situation like this (especially if you kind of feel like you are leaning to one way at least kind of more) is to flip a coin.

Seriously, assign one side a job and flip that coin way high in the air. If you really do want to pick one over the other, you will know as you watch that coin because some part of you will start chanting heads or tails. That part of you is probably the one you should listen to. Conversely, if there is no chanting, what will it really hurt which one you take. I mean, really. It sounds like both jobs have things going for them. Do the one you really want.

No thanks required, I give out cryptic non-advice free of charge. I have all kinds. Please forgive me if I occasionally sound like Dr. Phil (but you are smart, so I will never tell you that you couldn't get any stupider if I cut your head off).

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you send Job #1 a thank you note for the interview and to remind them of you? That may prompt a call from them.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else to tell you w/o a beer in my hand. :)

10:27 AM  
Blogger mynewshoes said...

Hmmm...maybe wait for job #2 to hire your friend of the same first name who they are interviewing for a different position tomorrow. If they do hire her, accept the offer so you can work together. If they don't hire her, reject the job offer in solidarity.

But what I really mean is that I think it is ok for you to ask them for a little more time, but since you've had an interview with the first place I think it is also ok to send a little note indicating that you've had another offer but they are your first choice, etc.

10:57 AM  
Blogger mynewshoes said...

I don't know why I used the word BUT so many times (and mostly when I shouldn't have) in that last paragraph. My only excuse is that I'm at work...

10:59 AM  
Blogger Gillian said...

You know which job is going to help you most down the road: the one you end up with.

But that's only because that's the one you'll actually be using and applying with your brain.

Here's my question for you: how long do you see yourself staying at either one of these jobs? Because if it's a shortish period of time (like, three years or less), then I'd go for Job #2 as grantwriting is probably the best thing you can do for yourself in the world of ever and of education.

I also think it's weird that the Job #1 was filled and then not filled. Was that because they hired someone who hated it and quit abruptly or because they communicated things poorly to you? Both of those things make it seem like a bad place to work.

I've also found that "somewhat flexible" usually means not flexible at all whereas "VERY flexible" means that it actually is flexible, especially when you're talking about parttime situations.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter