Playing is Hard Work

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Frustrating Things

Sometimes frustrating things happen during travel. Like missing a train. Like spending more money than you anticipate. Like trips taking twice as long as you think they might. Like not getting to see friends for as long as you would like. Like being kind of tired of living out of a suitcase. Of course, all these things which are frustrating coexist with things that are wonderful. Like seeing friends for even a little while. Like seeing large mountain ranges. Like getting inspired. Like learning new things.

My most frustrating thing about today (and, I anticipate, the rest of the week) is not being able to use my cell phone because of evil roaming charges ("what do you mean Canada is a different country?!?!") and not having much internet access. But at least I have a little bit, so I'm going to try to make do. But I don't like it. I already missed a schmoopy call to ZPJ that I feel bad about.

Another thing that is not a frustrating thing so much as just a thing is that I learned that I didn't get the job that I had the phone interview for a week ago. But I did learn that I might still be able to freelance for the same company and I might have some other freelancing options on the horizon as well. I like freelancing, and secretly (or not actually secretly but just if you ever asked me) I didn't really want this full-time job that I was applying for because I like freelancing so much, but I felt like I should want it because it was a great job with a real salary and benefits, but actually I'm going to be much happier just keeping on like I keep on. Ha! You can't tie me down!!!

I'm saying hello to Canada for you all. It loves you. It really does. It's sending kisses. I am having fun sharing lots of things with someone with whom I share one or two very important distinguishing characteristics, and one thing that we are sharing this week (besides a hotel room) is a constant stream of comparisons between this country and the one that we usually live it. It would be irritating if we didn't keep it to ourselves, mostly. Maybe there is an overheardinvancouver.com website, though, and you can keep an eye out for people overhearing our nation-reducing generalizations. In the meantime...this country is much cleaner than the one that we are from.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zaaq said...

fret not... ZPJ made it through the night (though barely).

Drink a couple Kokanee for me while you're up there...

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And we love Canada back! Smooch!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Heather K said...

I loved seeing you even for way too short a time.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter