Playing is Hard Work

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I'm A Real NY'er Now

I've been pondering why I haven't been blogging, and I don't have a good reason. I think it largely has to do with the fact that I'm not working from home anymore, so I'm not spending hours and hours at my own desk, desperately trying to procrastinate writing my thesis. Instead I'm sitting in an office and I've been feeling somewhat productive lately, so I don't worry so much about killing time, and I feel a little bit guilty about blogging from work.

BUT I've been having a lot going on recently, so I want to be better about reflecting.

One very interesting thing happened to me this weekend. I went up to my weekly residency in Harlem, which takes place Friday afternoons. The 1 Train on the way up there is terribly crowded and last week it was particularly so. I got to the school and, between classes, realized that my wallet was missing out of my bag. I checked the floor, I talked to the teacher, but it was gone, gone, gone.

I had Zach call the banks and cancel my cards and headed into the next class, and I have to say that I was pretty proud of the way that I handled things because I managed to maintain a pretty healthy perspective. Money is just money, it's not the end of the world to lose a little bit of it. Cards are irritating to reorder, but I have been blessed with joint accounts so I still have access to all my accounts until the new cards arrive. The three things which made me a little sad to lose were
  1. my NYU id card, which is valid until '09 and gets me great discounts as well as access to clean bathrooms in the village and can't be replaced now that I'm no longer a student,
  2. an H&M gift card for $30 which in itself is not such a big thing but represented my ability to go buy myself something guilt-free on a moment's notice, and
  3. my Oregon drivers license which cannot be replace because of my lack of a Oregon address and the loss of which represents drastically increased difficulty in obtaining a NYS drivers licence.
But you know, it's kind of a rite of passage to get your pockets picked on a crowded train, and now I really feel like a New Yorker, so it's really not all that bad.

At the school the teacher I worked with asked me if I thought that there was any chance that the wallet had disappeared in the school rather than on the train, and upon reflection I decided that there was no reason to suspect that one of the kids took it and very good reasons not to imply that I did, so I made no report and didn't say anything to anyone other than the classroom teacher I was with when I found it missing and my director back at the theater.

BUT THEN YESTERDAY I got a call from my director who had gotten a call from the principal of this school saying that they had found my wallet inside a students' desk! I still don't know who's desk it was or what is left in it or anything beyond this, but it has been found and, presumably at least one of my IDs remains because they knew it was mine.

I am left with two emotions now. Firstly, I am relieved that there is a possibility that I won't have to take a NYS driving test and use public restrooms in the village. But, secondly, I am really sad to acknowledge that one of the students I've been working with all semester in my residency went through my purse and took my wallet. Do I say something to the class when I go back on Friday? What on earth would I say? But how can I not say something? At least one of them (and probably more than one because 7th graders can't keep their mouths shut) knows what happened and even though I don't care to find out who did what, I think it should be acknowledged.

One interesting but irrelevant detail to this story: When I went back to class on Friday after realizing that my wallet was gone, the students that I was working with, all of whom had been in the previous class, wrote a scene about a girl getting pressured into joining a gang and, to prove that she was a part of the group, she was told that she had to go steal a wallet from a woman nearby. And the "nearby" indicated by my rising thespians was the exact spot on the floor where my bag had been before I realized that my wallet had gone missing! Crazy world, huh?

5 Comments:

Blogger RGC said...

to remember: what developing children do is not personal. i had my phone stolen once at my job with kids. i see these kids daily, drive them home, buy them lunch, listen to their problems. so it hurt when that happened. but it wasn't an attack on me. it was a reflection of 1) all that chaos going on in their life 2) their developmental process and neurological development. that kid, while still responsible for his/ her actions is still a little growing person.

just some things to keep in mind. it still sucks and i'm glad you got your wallet back

6:46 PM  
Blogger tarak said...

I don't mean to start a debate, but while I agree with rgc that the kid is a little growing person, they are still at an age where they need to learn how society functions and what it tolerates. Everything they do in life they are accountable for and they are not to young to begin to understand that or operate in that kind world.

Ok,... off my soap box now.

But more importantly, I'm sorry that happended to you but I'm thankful it wasn't a worse crime.

2:12 PM  
Blogger RGC said...

of course they need to understand that what they did was wrong. i just don't want lauren to think it was triggered by something that she did. it really had nothing to do with her but rather what the kid is experiencing currently. and it's easy for us to take things personally when we are pouring so much of ourselves into other people. so you can be on your soap box :)

3:51 PM  
Blogger tarak said...

I completely agree with everything you typed. Kids like that tend to have bigger problems that they can't control. And your right, Lauren shouldn't feel that she did anything to trigger this. What's she's doing for these kids is amazing and that's the part that counts.

5:12 PM  
Blogger laurenj said...

Thanks to you both for the comments. I do keep trying to remind myself that this is not personal. They are 7th graders- they are just practicing for real life- and I think this is partially why it was found almost entirely entact in a desk in the same room it went missing in. They are not exactly hardened criminals. But still. I have no idea who was involved in what, but I am going to talk to them about it tomorrow- I just don't want to start a blame/guilt game. If I knew who was responsible, it would be easier to hold them responsible. As it is, I'm reluctant to go down the road of holding EVERYONE responsible because kids get enough of that burden as it is. Anyway. I'm sad. But being sad sometimes is an occupational hazard.

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter