Playing is Hard Work

Monday, March 12, 2007

A Change

This weekend has been so incredibly lovely. The warm air and sunshine is changing my entire frame of mind. There suddenly seem to be possibilities- things that can be done- places that can be explored. Despite still being sick, I went on a walk up to the park on Saturday. The grass was brown and the trees have yet to bud, but there were people out everywhere, walking dogs, walking kids, throwing balls. I am beginning to remember that I live in a neighborhood.

But of course this nice weather is making me homesick for the Northwest. I'm homesick for being able to go outside and actually be outside, actually away from the cars and exhaust and noise. I'm homesick for having a back porch and a yard. Even a patio would be nice. ZPJ and I spent about two months in the fall looking for a new apartment with a patio or a roof deck or a garden, but it was a depressing and fruitless endeavour. Even when we could find such a place in our neighborhood that was within our price range, 50 other people wanted the place along with us. Of course, now that the weather is improving, that means that all the restaurants and cafes in the neighborhood will be reopening their patios, so I guess I can start going out more and enjoying their space in lieu of my own.

I'll be going to the Northwest soon enough, though. My sister-in-law is expecting a baby any day now, which means that I'll finally be an Aunt for reals, so we'll be flying to Oregon in about a month to see the new niece. I'm excited as hell to see the baby, but I'm also excited to see Oregon in springtime and maybe actually get some real fresh air instead of just hints of it. I love this city, I really do, but on days like this I just can't deny that I am a Northwest girl at heart.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather K said...

It was fabulous in Chicago this weekend too! Love the city and my neighborhood in good weather!!!! We even have a small fragment of backyard, enough to barbecue. However, the lock that holds it into our backyard rusted over the winter and we may have to cut it off to bbq again. Cest la vie.

I am jealous you will be back in PNW!

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter