Playing is Hard Work

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Back On The Horse

I braved the snow and subways today to get back in the classroom- I just couldn't take the whole week off. The workshops were preparation for 4th, 5th, and 6th graders to come see a docudrama about two girls' journey during WWII and we got to process-drama it up. I love doing process drama. I managed to actually send some 5th graders into a genuine panic when I announced that they were going to have to leave New York immediately because it was no longer safe, and right at the same time my co-teaching artist was pulled out of the classroom by the principal. She just wanted to chide him about a scheduling mix-up, but the fortuitous timing convinced the kids that our drama-evacuation was real. It was awesome.

Here's a shout-out to Ms. Mayer's 4th grade class- YOU ROCK!!! These kids were top-notch, from the seriousness with which they explained how to walk away from a fight to the sincerity with which they cheered each other for contributing ideas. I want to be in Ms. Mayer's class. Before my co-TA and I left the school, they hand-delivered us thank you notes for the workshop, from which I will now quote.

"Thank you for letting us learn things about the play, world war, and teaching us how to use our imagination. and also thank you for telling us some details of the play you are letting us to go to."

"I learned that kids go through that struggle. I don't know what I would do if I was one of those kids on the train. I liked everything we done, it was so fun. but also so sad. but I loved it. I can't wait to actually see the play because I think I might cry."

"I liked the part when we had to say 'back to back' because it was fun. p.s. do you make the plays and the scrips?"

I wish I could show you all the pictures that were drawn at the bottom of some of the letters, some of which feature a lean and loving-looking me. Thank you, Ms. Mayer's 4th grade class.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather K said...

That class sounds awesome!

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter