Playing is Hard Work

Saturday, January 03, 2009

2009

Looking back on 2008

Roses:

  • TBTL came into my life
  • Jamaica with good friends
  • Having four awesome jobs
  • Two new cats coming into my life
  • Getting a new brother-in-law and new sister-in-law
  • Getting to spend a lot of time with family
  • Finally going to the Bronx Zoo
  • Finally convincing ZPJ to impregnate me and (rawr!) we were successful!
  • Safety and relative health
  • Going to Prom!
  • Obama!
Thorns:

  • Having to listen to too many blowhards during the last nine months of a 16 month presidential campaign.
  • Losing both of my first and most beloved cats
  • Ongoing drama with family
  • Several friends losing parents
  • Several friends ending long relationships
  • Losing one of my great jobs
  • Watching NYC'ers usual optimism get crushed under economic collapse
  • ZPJ having to take the Bar...
  • Losing my nesting impulse and watching my home slip into squalor
  • Not reading enough (I blame TBTL)
Resolutions from 2008 (all were destination resolutions):
  • Boston - YUP! 4 times!
  • The Philimando's Lake House - YUP!
  • North Carolina and a certain bus/coffeeshop- YUP!
  • The Rockhouse, Jamaica - YUP!
  • Eastern Europe - NOPE :(
  • Seattle - YUP! 4 times!
  • Washington, DC - NOPE :( Maybe in 2009...
  • Another place that somehow got erased off my list, so I don't remember it. But I definitely didn't go.

Looking forward to 2009

Things that thrill me:

  • Pregnancy
  • Beginning motherhood
  • Keeping two of my awesome jobs
  • Getting closer to friends and family I love
  • Getting a new nephew!
  • My relationship with my new cats growing in love and cuddles
  • My relationship with ZPJ growing in love (and sleep-deprivation)
  • Upcoming weddings for people I love
  • Coming up with a plan for my unexpected part-time maternity leave (January-June)
  • Not doing a damn bit of (non-baby) work during my actual maternity leave (June-August)
  • Reading books again - without giving up TBTL
  • Getting a new sewing machine
  • Checking things off my lists
  • Obama!

Things that scare me:

  • Pregnancy
  • Beginning motherhood
  • SPECIFICALLY - labor, delivery, episiotomies, cesareans, drugs, and PAIN
  • The continuing economic collapse and the crumbling of my personal financial solvency
  • The shrinking of options and flexibility
  • The possibility of turning into a barefoot and pregnant housewife
  • Being far away from family

Resolutions:

Not really this year. I don't even know what this year will bring, so I guess I'm just hoping to have the grace and dignity and perspective to deal with it all in a positive way.

I love you all!

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather K said...

All right you did it. You made me freaking download TBTL to my ipod and I listened to my very first one today at work. Tomorrow I will try my very second one. Sheesh.

9:11 PM  
Blogger laurenj said...

Be careful... There are stages to listening to TBTL. First, confusion. Then, anger. And before you know it, you're addicted.

But YAY! You're going to be a Ten!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Heather K said...

Ummmm, also this is totally unrelated by New York City just got a new production of Our Town from Chicago directed by the same guy who did the super cool Adding Machine of very recent vintage, and I saw this production in its Chicago re-up and it is AMAZING which seems weird to say about that show. Go see it.

Umm also my friend is in it playing the paperboy and the director just had my roommate as his assistant for a production of Alice in Wonderland. But yeah see this show.

12:03 AM  
Blogger dani said...

BABIES!!! I cant wait to snuggle that chunkster and play with itttttt!!!

11:41 AM  
Blogger tiny tales said...

Ooooh I made the list of things that thrill you! Assuming you are excited about our wedding that you're not coming to =( Stupid baby. No, no, I mean-- I love you!!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter