Playing is Hard Work

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Spare Time

I just want to write down for the record what my week has been like, so that in coming years (months) I can look back and be jealous of myself.

Monday: Umm...nothing notable. I just went to work, came home, and spent the evening surfing the internet and (once ZPJ came home) watching movies.

Tuesday: All I had to do was teach a workshop midday - I slept in, caught up with a friend, went shopping in Soho by myself in the afternoon, spent a couple hours wandering around the shops and ended up buying myself some lovely (transitional) tops before wandering home. A friend came over after dinner - we made tea and had girl-talk while our husbands worked late.

Wednesday: After work, I got coffee with a friend, then picked up a couple other friends when they got off work. We did a little holiday shopping, and then, right when I was about to head home, I got a call from yet another person who convinced me to get dinner and go to an off-off-Broadway downtown theatre one-man show about the life and times of Anne Heche.

Thursday: Again, after work, headed out for hot chocolate and macaroons and a tour of Macy's holiday dresses in preparation for New Years. Finally made it home around 8 to make myself some pasta.

Tomorrow...catching the 6pm bus up north to hang out with the newly formed Team J - Boston division.

Maybe this doesn't sound remarkable or interesting in the slightest, but I'm coming to realize that I will never have spare time ever again. I will never be able to decide, at the last minute, to spend a couple hours wandering around after work getting coffee and shopping because I'll be having to head home to feed the baby or relieve the baby-sitter. Not that I'll never go to plays or out to coffee or go shopping again, but I'll never be able to do it without planning in advance. Unplanned detours are one of my greatest joys of NYC life, but from June on, after work - straight home! So, if you ever want to do something spontaneous with me ever again, get me before June!

5 Comments:

Blogger tiny tales said...

Yeah girl, live it up! And then call me to babysit when you want to go out! Or, wait... I want to go out with you. Yeah, call someone we don't like to babysit instead.

Wee! Enjoy the free time!

11:30 AM  
Blogger tarak said...

None of that will matter when baby-j shows up. Cause then you'll be so excited to get home to the baby and excited to spend your days off with the baby and etc, etc with the baby. I'm so happy for you both.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Heather K said...

Ummm, one request: can you please have your baby on my birthday? Best present ever!

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IDEA! Maybe you can't spontaneously hang out with us childless wonders, but we can still spontaneously hang with you! We can pop by unannounced! Dismiss you to a nap while we coddle the baby and change diapers. We can bring over take out and play games and spontaneously, without any forethought, go gaga over baby, and gab and watch tv and embroider and cook. What do you say about that?

9:40 AM  
Blogger laurenj said...

I think that's the best idea ever. I hope you stop by ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter