Playing is Hard Work

Monday, February 25, 2008

Half-Measures

Tarak brought THIS to my attention.

I spend a shameful amount of money at The Buck, but I adamantly maintain that this is because it beats DD and Pax in terms of...everything. Well, maybe Pax is less offensive on a corporate level, but it's still offensive on every other level. Working in Midtown forces one to make some complex and disheartening compromises in one's beliefs and standards regarding coffee and acceptable after-work drink environments. There is not a high standard in Midtown. There is barely a standard at all.

That being said, I have to ask:
  1. Why do they have to train everyone at the same time? That seems to guarantee that there won't be consistently qualified trainers at each location.
  2. What, exactly, do they think they will be able to accomplish in 3 hours that will counteract years and years of apathetic brewing?
  3. Why, for the love of all that is good and well-brewed in the world, have they not addressed that their employees can't pull a half-decent shot or steam anything other than skunky milk before this time????

I'm going in on the 27th and getting a latte and if it even has a whisper of foam or crema I will take all of my criticisms back. But it won't.

(I am compelled to note for the sake of a certain stylish friend of mine who manages a Bux in Seattle that NYC Bux are really the bottom of the barrel and, according to some people, one can still acquire a decent latte at NW Bux)

1 Comments:

Blogger mynewshoes said...

I blame their stupid robotic machines. I worked at one of these very chains 10 years ago, and we had to go through extensive training - 3 hours classes each on making drinks (I know all about your crema and milk-steaming techniques and temperatures), dealing with customers (the customer is ALWAYS right. If you make a mistake, or even if you didn't but they complain, give them a free drink coupon) and how to talk about coffee flavors (not "this tastes like dirt" but, "this has a earthy flavor). But, they got those automatic machines, they stopped with the training, and their pants split down the middle seam. I'm really into leaving long comments these days.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter