Playing is Hard Work

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Stereotype I Can Live With

I went to a school today that is as far out in Queens as I have yet gone. It took me almost two hours to get there- three trains and a bus. I arrived, groggy from my trip and disheveled from the freezing wind, and met my co-teaching artist, Carlo, at the security desk. We went to check in at the office, but before we could introduce ourselves, the vice-principal says "Wait, wait, let me guess...I don't want to stereotype, but you're the artists, right? The actors? You look so bohemian!"

I think I'm flattered.

BTW- if I ever find myself raising children in New York, I think I want them to go to school in Queens. The schools that I have visited in that most-diverse-of-boroughs are always so fun and happy and diverse and have cute artworks on the walls...

2 Comments:

Blogger JoeBlogs said...

Tweed jacket, let me guess your the vice principle you should have said.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Heather K said...

Were you wearing scarves? Not the winter kind but the artsy in you hair or something kind. I have been told that excessive wearing of scarves is a hallmark of being an actor or an artist.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter