Playing is Hard Work

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Renew

After another brutally cold week during which every other phrase that I uttered contained "too effing cold!", we had a miraculous and muddy day of almost 60 degrees. The sheets of ice melted by midmorning, and millions of New Yorkers stumbled, pasty and bleary-eyed, onto the streets and into the parks to remind themselves of why they chose to live in this horrible city of extremes.

I was so happy, I was literally singing show tunes to myself and I pranced down my yoga class.

ZPJ and I put on our walking shoes and headed out to the park (along with the rest of Brooklyn) to try and remember what it felt like to move around outdoors when you aren't just scuttling as quickly as possible back and forth from the subway. It was delightful. We were inspired to begin planning our yearly improvements in the backyard. I am so incredibly excited for spring. But I am also sadly resigned to the fact that we'll probably have at least another two-week cold snap before it arrives for good. But just for today I could pretend like winter was behind me and summer ahead of me, and that 2009 was picking up speed at last!

3 Comments:

Blogger ee said...

We were lucky enough to enjoy a similar Sunday over here in the northwest. We ate chicken strips and walked the dogs in the warm sunlight. It was glorious, and as you say, very renewing.

And now back to our regularly scheduled winter. :P

PS. I thought pregnancy cravings were only for food, but I stand corrected. Whitney keeps requesting that I make midnight runs to the store for "green grass and sunlight".

9:47 AM  
Blogger laurenj said...

hee hee hee hee!

I know, I keep thinking that Spring = Baby, so yesterday I got really excited thinking "He's almost here!" and then kind of freaked out that I don't have a crib or diapers or anything like that. Oh for green grass...it was amazing yesterday just to smell living things!

10:58 AM  
Blogger tiny tales said...

Oh my god I miss walking!!

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter