Playing is Hard Work

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The Big Picture

I think that in every job application and cover letter I've written, I've claimed to be a "detail-oriented person" and, sometimes, after constructing a very elaborate spreadsheet, I actually believe this to be true. But then, two months later, when I realize that I left some very, very important data off of that spreadsheet, I have to offer profuse apologies for not being as detail-oriented as I claimed.

I hate that sinking, tightening feeling in the gut when you realize that you made a big mistake, and you have to fess up to it.

I made a beautiful brochure for my big annual event, and the information on it is 95% true...which my dear friend JBster pointed out is better than 90%...but I still don't feel very good about it.

Maybe it's okay to be a big-picture person instead of a detail person, but it is not so good to be a big-picture person who is also a perfectionist. Maybe on my next cover letter I should write that I am a "big picture person with occasional but erratic bouts of anal retentiveness." Does that make you want to hire me? I hope not, because I have too much work right now. Feast or famine, my friends. The curse of the freelancer.

2 Comments:

Blogger tarak said...

I think a friend of mine wrote that same statement on her match.com profile.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm suffering with much of the same issue myself. It's good to know others aren't perfect. - Bill

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter