Playing is Hard Work

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Bi-Coastal

I flew into Seattle very late last night, or maybe very early this morning, and by mid-day I was cruising up I-5 on my way to my sister's. The rolling landscape, the brilliant sky, the far off ridge of mountain peaks - it all felt like home. But it also made me sad because it is such a far cry from Brooklyn, which IS my home and has been for longer than anywhere else in my adult life. I love Brooklyn, I love NYC, and I love the Pacific Northwest, and I am torn because I want to have both all time. I wish I didn't have to choose.


Every time we come back to the NW, it gets harder. It gets harder because it is increasingly expensive and time-consuming. It gets harder because I am balancing my emotional and spiritual energy, my identity even, between two coasts. It gets harder because I am trying to maintain MANY relationships over very far distances.


I think I might be at a breaking point. I might be at the point when I can't maintain those relationships anymore, and they are going to start deteriorating. Maybe I have already reached that point and now I'm just at the point where I'm realizing it. I think I might be at the point where its no longer okay to split myself - my time, my heart, my dreams - between these two places.

The tensions are thickening. The unspoken (and sometimes VERY spoken) accusations are flying. There isn't time to address anything, mend anything. There's barely time to catch up, get some hugs, and get back on the plane.

The NW makes me love Brooklyn even more. Brooklyn makes me love the NW even more. I've long passed the chance to move back and pick up where I left off - the last three years have changed me. Maybe the changes are just the natural effects of that much time, but I think a lot of it has to do with the place that I've been during that time - a place where so much of my life is lived in public, so many people crammed in a small space, so much competition for jobs, apartments, good seats at the bars, so little space for quiet and reflection.

I'm not ready to leave NY, not even close. I missed it as soon as I got off the plane, and I'm not ready for that missing to be a constant part of my life. But I don't know how long I can keep stretching my heart between both coasts. I am tired of having the same fights about love and time every time we come back here. I am tired of always feeling guilty and distant and aloof and separate. I'm sick of missing every milestone in my friends' and families' lives. Even when I manage to be there for the day, the weekend, I'm not really there. Every trip is marked by the people I didn't get to see, the gatherings that I had to cut short. And even if I moved back here next week, I would just switch the coast that I was cutting short. I'd start feeling guilty and jealous every time I visited New York.

I'm in love with two places. I think it must be like being in love with two people. You can make it work for a little while, but eventually the one or the other catches on, and everyone knows you can't keep both.





6 Comments:

Blogger ee said...

Isn't this why God invented polygamy? :D

But seriously, know that whit and i love ya regardless of your home coast. Even if its just an occasional snowy drive to Ritzville, its worth it ;)

11:54 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

This is such a great blog post! it really drove home for me what you're going through right now - I can't relate since I love visiting my hometown and miss the past and all that, but it also seems to be relegated firmly to the past for me and there's not any real question of living there again. Interesting. Brooklyn is very glad to still claim you for as long as you stay, though :)

12:37 PM  
Blogger tarak said...

I completely understand where you are comming from with your post. I too feel the heart strings being pulled everytime I call a friend or family member on a birthday or holiday because I'm so far away from where I grew up. Every time I go home to Florida I have to visit all of these people who never come to NY to see me. I've given up on going out of my way when I'm down there. If I can't see everyone, oh well. It's up to them to make an effort as well (those that have as much means as I do). But you have so many people here that love you as much as you love them. You'll never be without love no matter where you are.

11:59 AM  
Blogger LBM said...

uff da.
Well pined dear Lauren.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Heather K said...

I know. I know.

Sigh.

I know.

But for me, I love Chicago. I love it. This is my home. I will always want to visit the NW, but I don't think I will want to live there again. (Although I never lived in the cities and you did live in a couple). Also no one in my family (or Sam's) has gotten married and started having babies.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Mimi and Lucas' Mommy said...

Lauren, you might be surprised to hear this from me (someone who would selfishly love to see you permanently in the NW), but the people who love you want first and foremost for you to be happy (though undoubtedly some of the things said and done are clouded with personal feelings that may seem to contradict). We will love you no matter where you are and relish the times that we do get to see your lovely face.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter