Playing is Hard Work

Thursday, August 21, 2008

For My First "Awesome"

I am very, very excited about this article:

Better to be Fat and Fit than Skinny and Unfit

It's seems like common sense, on one hand, but then you start reading the 158 comments attached and it becomes more complicated.

There seems to be a real fear present in the comments that if fat people aren't made to feel shameful, something bad will happen. "Uh oh! If we tell them its okay to be fat, who knows what will happen!!!" Maybe skinny people will have to stop feeling superior. The horror.

But the greatest thing is the comments from all the women out there who testify about how great they feel about themselves and how fit they are, despite their BMI. Yay, women!!!

I can't remember if I wrote about this last month, but I had a doctor advise me to lose 45lbs within six months without asking about my current diet or exercise habits and it really got under my skin. I eat better and exercise more than most of my friends who are within a "normal" BMI and I would have to develop an eating disorder to drop that kind of weight in any amount of time. So, even though this study might not change societal perceptions, I do hope that it has some effect in the medical community.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter