Playing is Hard Work

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Would You?

If you ignored my urging to start listening to Too Beautiful To Live a couple weeks ago, now is a good times to mend your ways. I wrote in an email the other day in response to a conversation they had about the dude who climbed up the NY Times building last week:

Dear Luke and Jen; Lauren here, one of the NYC podcast tens. I listen to your show everyday...although usually several days late. This morning I was walking into the office while listening to the story about the guy who climbed the New York Times building last week and was just tickled pink. I love hearing stories about Seattle, my home-of-long-ago, but this was the first time on TBTL that I got to listen to a story that I had first-hand experience with. Last thursday I was leaving the office with co-workers to go have some cocktails and in the elevator someone was talking about a guy climbing the building. I work on 37th and 8th, just three blocks down, so when I walked out the door, sure enough, the dude was trucking his way up at about the 40th floor. The cops shut down all of 8th avenue at that point and people were just flooding the streets to watch. It was kind of amazing, because as I'm sure you know from your time in the city, new yorkers don't really like to acknowledge one another if possible, especially on 8th ave, and yet we were all captivated by this climb. I have to say, 57 floors is a long way up, and the whole time I was watching him I was having an internal debate of whether I would continue watching if he started to fall. I think I would have wanted to close my eyes, but maybe my imagination would have been worse than the real thing. would you watch or look away? he did make it to the top, of course, and the whole street erupted in cheers. and then we all averted our eyes from one another and sheepishly walked away... Anyway, this belated note is just a thank you for bringing all us Midtown West tens into the TBTL action (yes, there are a couple of us).

ANYWAY...they wrote back and told me that they would be reading my email on the air - not only did they read it aloud, it sparked a half hour conversation! I am officially cooler than I ever have been or will be again. This American Life, you're next!

So, go to www.mynorthwest.com/tbtl and download the podcast and listen to the second half of the 8:00 hour. And then continue to listen to the rest of the show. Then thank me. You will love this radio show. I promise.

2 Comments:

Blogger RGC said...

FYI, I have downloaded to itunes and uploaded to the iphone 30 episodes. lets see if this here show will hold my attention the way my beloved 'this american life' does....

and in a side note and random question of the day, what was the name of the play we did where heather entered a cult and i was the deprogrammer???

1:31 AM  
Blogger laurenj said...

MOONGIRL!!!!

Wow.

That takes me back. What a play! It had everything... cults, abuse, entire scenes yelled instead of spoken...

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter