Playing is Hard Work

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Yesterday I was moved to talk to a stranger on the subway. Not just talk to, but actually tap on the shoulder and start a conversation with.

I know, I know, no one wants to turn into the crazy person who starts conversations with strangers...

But this guy was sitting RIGHT NEXT TO ME and he was reading a book that I had finished just 12 HOURS BEFORE. And it was a book that I LOVED. So I felt called upon to tell him that we shared the common experience of this book and that I loved it and I hoped he loved it to.

Does this make me crazy?

Maybe if it had just been a regular book, it wouldn't have really moved me to break the unbreakable and unspoken rule of non-subway-talking, but it was a book about somewhat surreal and unlikely connections between people, so it seemed appropriate.

The funny thing was, once I had talked to this guy, who was very receptive to my conversation, I suddenly realized that there were lots of things that I wanted to talk to people about. I wanted to ask the woman across from me where she got her ring. I wanted to tell the woman next to me that she was watching one of my favorite episodes of Lost on her iPhone.

DO NOT TALK TO STRANGERS ON THE SUBWAY. It is a dangerous and slippery slope. You do not want to know where it will lead you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this was any other author it would be unexplainable, but Murakami's books are all about weird surreal things intruding on normal everyday life. I totally understand.

If you haven't read any other Murakami, check out "Wild Sheep Chase", which got him noticed in the States back in the late 80s, "Norwegian Wood", which put him on the map in Japan. My personal favorite back in the 90s was "Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World".

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter