Playing is Hard Work

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Spring Breakish

School is out this week. This means that my mornings aren't quite so early, but it also leaves me with much fewer anecdotes. Some pearls from last week:
  • I discovered that one of the teachers that I am working with "stole" a drama-in-ed exercise and was using it with here non-residency classes. *warm fuzzies*
  • Scene: A chaotic and loud classroom. After being asked what strategies the class could use to improve their focus/respect, one student stared me down and demanded, "Entertain me." A new view on the role of the teaching artist...
  • After joking with a reluctant student that he must be glad I didn't make him dance, he looked me in the eye for a few seconds and calmly said with disdain, "There's just something about you that bothers me." Then he flounced away, and made it about 10 feet before he was compelled to spin around and yell, "WHAT?!?! At least I don't LIE about it like SOME PEOPLE would!!!!" Ah, middle school.
  • During a school performance, the actor said "bitch" and "shit" within one sentence, the audience went silent, and then one student stood up and yelled out "I LOVE THIS PLAY!!!!" and the auditorium erupted in cheers. Ah, middle school.
  • A student (the first ever) actually took me up on my offer to look at some of his poems and possibly pass them on to one of the writers at the company for notes. We've been emailing. Work address, of course, not personal. It's been awhile since I've encountered students who are actually inspired rather than oppressed by the prospect of writing. *warm fuzzies*

Roses and thorns, my friends, roses and thorns.

We're going to play a little game now:

FORTUNATELY...I get to have a little break to revive my spirit and sleep cycle.

UNFORTUNATELY...I have to be in the office all week instead.

FORTUNATELY...our annual Gala is next week, so there is much work to be done.

UNFORTUNATELY...no one is actually doing the work because my office is a highly inefficient machine where distraction and excuses run amok.

FORTUNATELY...I'm building up comp hours so I don't have to take vacation time when I go to Jamaica.

UNFORTUNATELY...I'm not in Jamaica yet.

FORTUNATELY...I have a good perspective and am very patient.

UNFORTUNATELY...I was lying about that last one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter