Playing is Hard Work

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Rain

It was raining in my closet yesterday. Big, brownish red drops that seeped through the door jam and the light fixture and fell on my quilts and clothes and new shoes. The apartment upstairs is being renovated and apparently my landlord took the lowest bid for the job, because we've already had a hole knocked in the ceiling of our bathroom and our neighbor has had a leak as well. All in the last week!

The leak has stopped now, and most of my clothes are fine, but all of my blankets need to be professionally washed now and I think we need to send my landlord the bill. Right?

This was, of course, the most exciting thing that's happened to me all week. It's been a slow week. It's been a slow several weeks, actually. Since I turned in my thesis I haven't had much on my plate, which was nice, then depressing. Then, once I knew that I would eventually be starting a job, nice again. I haven't been leaving the house much, which is a combination of nesty-hominess, laziness, and brokiness. Two months of not working has taken its toll. I definitely think I'm ready to go back. Not just because I'd like to have a paycheck again, either. I am looking forward to having a little bit more structure and social interaction in my days.

Here, however, are some nuggets of wisdom and self-discovery gleaned from my at-home month:
  • If left to my own devices, I will remain undressed and unshowered until the dinner hour
  • I like looking at my garden through the sunroom window as much as I like actually sitting in it. Distance adds romance, sometimes
  • One mosquito loose in a room can still produce several itchy bites
  • The longer I stay inside, the more difficult it is for me to think of a reason to leave
  • Cats often complain for no reason
  • Watching people do things on TV is sometimes better than doing them yourself, but sometimes it is not
  • Having an end date makes a thing more precious

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather K said...

I am also guilty of the not dressing thing. Plus, if you go for most of the day without leaving the house it seems less and less worth it to get dressed and ready in order to leave the house.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter