Playing is Hard Work

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Garden In Progress

This weekend we did a volunteering activity that I heartily encourage any New Yorkers to try. In September, Garden In Transit is going to be covering all of the taxis in NYC with giant flowers for four months. Before that, however, you can spend a couple hours on the weekend painting these giant panels that will bedeck our cabs. It is not only a brilliant public art project, it's a ton of fun. Go to www.gardenintransit.org to sign up for a session. The group we worked with on Saturday painted over 200 panels in a couple hours.
I was so inspired by all the "gardening" that I came home and put in a flower bed of my own in my backyard.
Not quite so colorful yet, but give it a couple months. ZPJ and I have also spent the last few days diligently tilling, raking and hoeing to get the rest of the yard ready for lawn seeding. It seems a little ambitious to start a lawn from scratch, but there is a lot of dirt back there and it is effing expensive to get enough slate, gravel, bricks or decking to cover it all. So grass it is. I am unaccountably excited about the prospect of mowing the lawn all summer- more from the idea of that "fresh cut grass" smell in my house than anything else.

1 Comments:

Blogger Isaac said...

Holy crap ... that's your backyard? I'm so jealous. When are you having a garden party???

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter