Playing is Hard Work

Saturday, December 16, 2006

And The "Playing Is Hard Work" Award Goes To...

We went to the circus last night. Not just any circus. Circus Oz.



Circus Oz is half-circus, half-burlesque awsomeness with tongue-in-cheek social commentary flying along with the trapeezers and contortionists. I know that it can be considered uncool for staff of my theatre to be thoroughly enthusiastic about our productions, but I loved it.



I really just love circus, and I loved the Chinese acrobats that performed last year, but compared to the Aussies, last year's show was a bunch of spandex-clad robots. Circus Oz might not be as technically perfect, but they made up for it with spunk. On the couple occasions that someone missed a trick, they laughed, asked the audience if they could try it again, and got back up on the horse. Or the BMX handlebars. There was one incident where a spinning bike almost flew into the audience and knocked over a footlight before stopping inches from the face of a young audience member in the front row, but they seemed to take it all in stride. They were working their asses off, and made it look like the best possible job in the world.


I'm going to run away and join the circus.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather K said...

Can I come to?

I actually have a friend in Ringling Bros. And another friend who had a contract with Big Apple Circus and broke it. So he is doing a clown Christmas right here in Chic.

10:52 PM  
Blogger ipj said...

Plus, the woman who plays the "ringleader" is frikkin sexy as all get out.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Goodbye Blue Monday said...

Seriously, I would do the ringleader in a SECOND! What a body! But also the juggler/contortionist came over (since I was with IPJ in the front row) and felt my mohawk and giggled...she was cute too. :)

This show was awesome and made me want to move to Australia. Or be in a circus. Well, be in THAT circus.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter