Playing is Hard Work

Thursday, December 14, 2006

I miss the stress

The semester must really be winding down because I have stopped getting emails. I still check my account every five minutes or so, but it is as though there are tumbleweeds blowing down the center of mainstreet and all that can be heard are the shutters on abandoned buildings flapping in the wind.

I could always count on Face to Face to get me some good email. David would send out a grammatical question about a draft of a publication to the full committee and it would get ten responses, all sent to the full committee, usually just consisting of "sounds good," "okay," or "thanks." They clogged up my inbox, but at least I was a part of something!

During the theatrix festival I would get irritating announcements from the board with erroneous information about our show or apologies from cast members who would be late showing up to rehearsals. No longer, though.

Even the endless job postings and event announcements from the listserve at school have slowed to a trickle.

Now I got nothing. Nothing nothing nothing.

This always happens to me. I get stressed out and burned out by all the insanity of the semester and, buried under it, I want nothing more than to be free for a few days. But now that I'm free, I'm a little bored and restless. I need some adrenaline and anxiety to function properly. That can't be healthy. What am I going to do next semester when I have no classes, only a couple rehearsals a week and whatever workshops I get hired for? It seems at the moment like I won't have enough to fill my time, but I should know better than to be thinking like that. Something always comes up.

I hope so, because I am immensely unproductive when I actually have time to do what I need to do. I only get things done when I'm under a crunch. Like right now. I still have one more paper to finish by tomorrow, but here I am, typing this instead of that. Its getting close to crunch time, though, so I think I'll pick up the pace pretty soon. I certainly don't have any emails to distract me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter