Playing is Hard Work

Monday, September 08, 2008

A Journey Worth Taking

There is a mythical creature in our world, rarely sighted but often storied: The Undecided Voter.

A friend of mine has recently come out as just such a creature, and she has invited me along on an epic journey into the heart of the political jungle. She is keeping a blog to document her negotiation of a variety of issues, based on the candidates' positions and some other research. She'll go through, issue by issue, and has invited her online community to join her. This is how she describes herself:

I registered to vote when I turned 18. I just turned 30. I moved to New York City 6 years ago which means exactly one half of my political influence while of voting age happened in the conservative South, and one half in the liberal North. Marry that statistic with this personality flaw/trait(?): I am ever reticent to voice an opinion, especially about politics, without sincere conviction. During political discourse of any persuasion, I am the one listening, full of conscious curiosity, challenging mean-spirited remarks, but almost never taking a clear stance. Perspective is one of my personal virtues, but seeing both sides of an issue sure does make voting arduous... Whether you are left or right, whether you vote for politicians or for parties, whether you’ve made up your mind or your mind is not yet made, you’re cordially invited along for this ride.

If you are interested in getting beyond partisan news coverage and campaign press-releases to a real negotiation of issues that many of us may have thought we came to conclusions about a long time ago, I encourage you to check her out HERE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter