Playing is Hard Work

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Throughout my life, a lot of people have told me that I'm smart. It started with my mom when I was probably a week old and continued through my boss, yesterday, at pre-season training. I would like to keep this trend going for another four hours, if possible. I have been working on this damn project for 15 months and I am so ready to be done, but I have to go in and do an oral defense (which, by the way, almost NONE of my friends have had to do for their grad degrees). If I stop and think about it, which I'm not sure I want to, I have kind of spent 14 years coming to this spot- since I first started doing plays- and although it seems fitting that I have the opportunity to have this capstone, the pressure is a little intense.

Good vibes, please, from 11-12:30.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather K said...

I send you belated good vibes because I am sure that you were (are) awesome.

I didn't have to do a formal oral defense for my degree, but I did have to write an elaborate paper, face my hand picked panel of instructors (all 5 of them) and their barrage of questions regarding said paper and anything else they felt might have been pertinent from my two years there. Then they sent me out into the hallway for ten minutes (ish, actually I have no idea how long it was it could've be 20 seconds, 10 minutes sounds logical) while they debated whether or not to give me my MFA. Then they called me back in.

It was awful, so I feel your pain and anxiety. Although the last jury (that is what this semesterly meeting was called) was the only one where I didn't cry. (Well, ok I cried after they told me I was getting an MFA and they were hugging me, and then the ag professor took me out for dinner--my outside the department jury member was from the ag department, he specialized in rural sociology and he has known my dad since childhood). All the other meetings were fraught with tears all the way through, but my school was way method, so crying actually probably bought me more respect.

Man, this comment is almost like a blog entry in itself.

Anyway, I am sure you defended your brilliant thesis with verve and wit and more brilliance because you are smart. S-M-R-T, smart, s-m-A-r-t smart!

(Do you hate being told that as much as I do? I find it either oddly patronizing or alienating).

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter