Playing is Hard Work

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Welcome Back, Blogger

It has really been a week.


North Carolina was a hoot and a half. I really enjoyed being there- up in their so-called "mountains." Puleeze. They were pretty, I'll give them that. But they topped out at about 3000 feet. Asheville reminded me a lot of a certain small west-coast city in which I used to live. Maybe it was all the hippies or organic bakeries or local microbrews...hard to say...but it really had a Eugenian feel to it. Two structures, however, distinguish Asheville from it's Oregonian counterpart. One is a double-decker bus that has been converted to a coffee shop. The other is a 250-room mansion which claims to be America's biggest home- the Biltmore. Damn. I'll just say that the Vanderbilt's had too much money and leave it at that. The bus is awesome, though. Or it will be when N and R finish all the renovations that they are in the middle of. We had a great time making coffee and drinking beer and, apart from my allergies, I wouldn't have minded staying even a little bit longer.


Upon returning there was, of course, AIDS Walk 2007. Check this out:



That's right. You're reading correctly. $32,261. Substantially more than my annual income. That's how much Team Supersnack raised this year. We are pretty darn proud of ourselves, I'll tell you what. The 10K walk wasn't quite as gruelling as I had thought it might be- the weather was completely perfect and the 45 thousand other walkers slowed down my pace considerably. It was a wonderful, wonderful time.


The day after the Walk was the Day Of The Subway for me. I think (though I'm not completely sure) that I topped my all time record with an epic day of 5.5 hours on the MTA. It was so wonderful. The smell, the sights...really, it left me breathless. The sad thing was that I think I may have taught my last New Vic workshop for the school year. Very sad. I love those workshops. The kids were fantastic this week, though. Attentive, engaged, adorable. As though they were intentionally trying to send me out on a high note.


And of course, yesterday was the passport office. But we will speak no more of that.


So, it's been an eventful week. Hopefully it will slow down a little bit as I careen closer and closer to my Caribbean vacation. Who knows, maybe after my vacation I will be coming closer to a new job...? Hard to say. I thought the interview yesterday went very well, and also disastrously. I can't decide. Maybe I shouldn't have talked about sex quite so much, but I really do think it was context appropriate, so I guess I'll hear tomorrow or the next day if they were on the same page as me. You know how it is with interviews. It's all about whether I'm the right person for them, but I know I'm qualified, so if I don't get it I can DEFINITELY take it personally. And then I'll drink away my sorrows with colorful and sugary drinks in my beach-side cabana...

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather K said...

Wooo hooo, beachside here you come.

Also, I find the mountains in Pennsylvania and Missouri hilarious to as well. I say if it ain't snowy year round, its just a big hill.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter