Playing is Hard Work

Friday, May 11, 2007

Frickin' Frack

I went to the Frick Collection today with the in-laws. I would not have expected to enjoy this mostly baroque and renaissance collection to be so riveting, but it was. Perhaps it was the overall quality of the works presented. But mostly I think it was the fact that almost the entire collection was hand-picked my Mr. Frick himself over several decades. He clearly loved and cherished each painting, sculpture, and side table, and that love created a collection that highlighted one person's ideas about beauty. It was an incredibly diverse collection, but also incredibly personal. If you go, take the time to listen to the audio tour. Very informative and engaging, if you can manage to keep a straight face while erudite Europeans go on about the "rendering of the silk drapes in the background that are so exquisite it almost makes your knees tremble."

Also saw The Drowsy Chaperon tonight, a year after everyone else saw it. It was adorable, of course; a perfect show for my mother-in-law and I to both enjoy (I talked her down from Mama Mia). I think my next career, after puppet-making and children's-book-writing is going to be as a vaudeville star. Remember my name!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter