Playing is Hard Work

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Would YOU get fired?

I had an interesting experience in a high school class yesterday. We were doing some drama activities to explore theme from a book, The Glass Castle, that the students had seen a stage adaptation of the week before. I asked them to choose a scene or moment in the play that stuck out to them, and then use dramatic techniques to present that scene in a different way than they had seen the actor do it. I encouraged them to use narration, tableaux, and a more abstract style. I gave them a few minutes to work and a copy of the script so that they had the exact words to refer to if they needed it.

Now imagine what it looked like when one group decided to re-enact the following lines with movement and narration:

"Rose Mary, where the goddamn hell are you, you stinking bitch?" yelled Dad....he knocked her to the floor..she grabbed a butcher knife and slashed it through the air in front of him...He picked up a knife, too, and pinned Mom's hands behind her head..."

It was considerably longer, but you get the idea.

My heart was in my throat watching a sixteen year old boy standing above a fourteen year old girl laying on the floor beneath him, pretending to kick her. They did the scene beautiful with a minimum of uncomfortable laughter, but my heart was thumping. The class was being observed by their classroom teacher and two school administrators, and even though I knew they had seen the play, were reading the book, choose the scene themselves and decided on their own how to re-enact it, I was convinced I had gone over the line.

I've worked at several places where those three minutes would have gotten me fired.

I don't like violence, even in drama. I don't like seeing kids fake-hit, fake-slap, fake-shoot, fake-stab, fake-punch, fake-fall. I don't think its safe. And I know for a fact that several kids in that room see scenes like that every day at home, so had this scene stopped being fiction?

Oddly enough, I was the only one who thought a line had been crossed. The general response from the kids was "that was funny" and when I thanked the two kids who had been acting for dealing with such rough material, they looked at me like I was...an unintelligible adult. The administrators came over to me, beaming. "Aren't these kids great?!"

I've been thinking of ways that I could have made that class safer, given them more structure, been watching out for them better. But apparently I was the only one with a problem.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather K said...

You have problems with violoence (even fake stuff) but not with fake car stealing if I recall correctly.

I would guess that if the kids were doing the choosing, they would choose something within their comfort realm even if it wasn'tn yours. They are high school kids, and as I recall high schoolers aren't too big on going outside their own comfort zone, so they would self-censor in a sense (choosing something that they felt confident in).

I would not worry as long as the situation was safe and everyone else seemed okay with it. Examine why and what exactly worried you (the violence or the possible firing) and in what proportions and then let it go. It sounds like they did some great work.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter