Playing is Hard Work

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Tears

I'm less and less enthralled with emotional acting these days.

Watching an actor who uses their own emotions as a basis for their performance, I'm always wondering how far they can push it before it goes over the edge. Before they lose control. It doesn't seem safe, and it distances me from the performance because I'm worried about the actor instead of invested in the story.

When an actor relies on communicating through emotions (whatever that means- usually just crying or yelling), they are making decisions for how the audience should feel and think. It's manipulative. It demands empathy and identification rather than consideration. I don't like being taken for a ride.

How did theatre become about who-can-reveal-the-most, who-can-be-the-most-vulnerable, who-can-summon-the-most-tears? It seems so self-involved. I prefer to watch a performance that makes me feel something, rather than seeing how someone else feels about it.

Okay, so maybe it's not emotional acting that bothers me. It's bad emotional acting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather K said...

I feel that there are two kinds of emotional acting--from working with a crazy method acting professor (emphasis on crazy there) and a clown acting professor. I agree that the method sense memory stuff can very quickly get out of control and self-involved, and I don't want to watch someone working out their own shit while claiming to pretend to be the character. I hate that.

The clown version of emotional acting I usually find very compelling (unless done badly). It isn't about feeling any particular thing at any particular time but about being open to whatever the play/moment/audience/world bring about at any given time. When an actor of this sort is open and vulnerable (but not necessarily in a weepy sort of way--just exposed) I am always compelled by their journey, no matter where it goes. It is fascinating to me, that fluidity of existence.

However, this is why I am not so much the actor anymore. The fluidity of existence has been great for my regular life and completely elusive to me on stage, and all I feel is fake (so I am sure that is all I show), and I am not interested in being a fake at all. This could be such a way long conversation for me that I will stop now unless prompted by other questions or comments.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter